The equalities agenda has seen numerous legislative developments in recent years which have culminated with the enactment of a single anti-discrimination law: the Equality Act (2010).
Equality Act 2010
Overview of the Act
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
Section 149 - The Public Sector Equality Duty
- eliminate unlawful discrimination: harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act;
- advance equality of opportunity: between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it; and
- foster good relations: between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Gravesham Context and Evidence
- Gravesham's Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) total of 17,494 residents amounts to 17.2% of all residents in the borough which is the highest percentage across all districts in Kent.
- The largest growth of a BME community between 2001 and 2009 has been in the Black African community which has grown by 450% and now totals 1,100 residents.
- In regards to the working age population and claims for Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Gravesham's figure in February 2011 was 4.7% (4,680).
- Between 2001 and 2010 the sharpest percentage increase in age categories has been in the numbers of people aged '85+'. This group has increased to total 2,000 over the period in question, a jump of 27.7%.
- For a full breakdown of key equalities statistics on the Gravesham population, please select the Equalities Profile document.
- View our Equality Statement and Objectives document.
Further Information - Key Contacts
|Gravesham Borough Council||Jackie Denton, Customer Services Manager||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kent Equality Cohesion Council||Gurvinder Sandher - Director||
Email: email@example.com |
Tel: 01474 369329
|The Gr@nd||Liz Read - Operational Manager||
Tel: 01474 320832
|Age UK (Gravesend)||Nigel Vian||Tel: 01474 564898|
|Churches Together in Gravesham||--||http://www.gravesendchurchestogether.org/|
|Shri Guru Nanak Darbar Gurdwara||Cllr Narinderjit Singh-Thandi||Tel: 01474 350611|
|Gravesend and Dartford Muslim Association||Ejaz Aslam||Tel: 01474 323092|
|Kent Police||Amandeep Jassal - Community Liaison Officer||
Tel: 07772 226122 or 01474 366506
|Sure Start||Heather Robinson||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rethink Sahayak||Carol Gosal||
Tel: 01474 364837
|Specialist Children's Services||Rodica Cobarzan||Tel: 03000 412994|
|Early Help District Manager||Jo Hook||Tel: 03000 416266|