Public Access alert,

Whilst using PublicAccess is the quickest way to get your comments logged against an application, if, for some reason PublicAccess is not available, you can email with your comments and name and address.


Last updated on: 09-Apr-2021

3. How we get the overpayment back

If we decide that you must pay back any overpayment there are a number of ways this can be done. We may use more than one of these methods at the same time. More information about overpayments can be found in our Overpayment Recovery Policy.

We can reduce what you're getting

This means if you are still receiving benefit we will reduce your ongoing weekly entitlement until the full amount is repaid. The maximum amount of the reduction each week is set by the government. We may be able to reduce how much we take away each week if you're struggling to live on the money that's left. You should call us straight away if this has happened 01474 337710.

We can take money for the overpaid benefit from your rent account

We will only do this if your rent account is in credit or you have paid extra rent during the time you were overpaid. This applies to Housing Benefit overpayments only.

We can invoice you for the money

This means we will send you a bill asking you to pay us back.

We can take away money from other benefits your receive

We can tell the Department for Work and Pensions to reduce the amount of benefit you receive. We can ask for deductions from any of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (contribution based)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Employment Support Allowance (contributory)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance formerly Invalid Care Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • New State Pension
  • State Pension/Retirement Pension
  • State Pension Credit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • War Pension
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Bereavement Benefit
  • Universal Credit

This means you will receive less money until your overpayment is paid.

We may ask your employer to take money from your wages

This is called a Direct Earnings Attachment and the amount your employer sends to us will be based on a percentage of the money you earn.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know