Public Access alert,

Public Access is currently down for maintenance, please check back later.

The next election

Last updated on: 16-Oct-2020

The Police and Crime Commissioner election, originally scheduled for 7 May 2020, has now been postponed until May 2021.

Am I registered to vote?

Poll cards are sent shortly before the election. If you receive a poll card and your circumstances have not changed then you are registered to vote.

I need to register to vote

If you need to register to vote, this can be done online at GOV.UK

Am I eligible to vote?

You can register to vote if you are 16 or over, and live at your address for at least 6 months of the year. However, you cannot vote until you are 18. You also have to be either a British, Irish, European Union or Commonwealth Citizen.

When will poll cards be delivered?

Poll cards are delivered a few weeks before an election if you are registered to vote. If you do not receive a card, please contact us on 01474 33 7253.

If you have lost or damaged your poll card, you can still vote, as long as you know your polling station. Simply turn up on polling day and provide your name and address.

Postal and proxy votes

You can vote by post or have someone else vote on your behalf.

Application forms can be found on GOV.UK.

Completed application forms can be returned to the Civic Centre or emailed to

If you have lost or spoilt your postal vote, a replacement can be issued up until 5pm on polling day. You will need to speak to an officer to arrange this. If it will be too late to return it by post, it must be handed in to the Civic Centre, or any polling station in Gravesham, on polling day.

When are you sending postal votes out?

We’ll update the page with dates on when we are intending on sending all postal votes closer to the election.

I need to change my name on the electoral register

If you need to change your name on the electoral register you will need to complete a change of name form. You will also need to provide proof of your name change, such as an amended birth certificate, a marriage certificate or deed poll.

I need to change my address on the electoral register

If you have moved address you will need to register to vote again at your new address.

I've lost my poll card

If you have lost your poll card you can still vote. You’ll be asked for your name and address at the polling station.

Where do I vote?

If you vote in person, you will receive a poll card which tells you which polling station you need to attend.

How do I change the way I vote?

If you are already on the electoral register, you can apply to vote by post on the GOV.UK website. For other ways to vote, visit our Elections and voting section.

Easy read guide to voting

Mencap and the Electoral Commission have published an Easy Read Guide for voters with a learning disability.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know