Noise complaints

1. Overview

We investigate complaints about noise when it becomes really loud for a particular reason.

Each case is considered separately.

Step one

Most noise problems will come from a neighbour. If you want us to investigate the first thing you need to do, if you feel able, is politely approach the neighbour as they may not even be aware they are causing a nuisance. If this fails or if you feel uncomfortable doing this then we will be able to see if there's something we can do.

Step two

If the noise continues then you'll need to let us know.

When you do this we will talk through the problem with you and if you agree we'll get a letter sent to the person to make them aware of the problem and see what action can be taken to stop the noise from carrying on.

We'll also write to you to ask you to fill in a Nuisance Diary Record to give us an accurate record of the times of the noise and how long it goes on for and also how it affects you.

If this informal approach isn't successful a formal investigation will take place and we'll assess whether the noise is causing a statutory nuisance. If it is a statutory nuisance a formal abatement notice will be served which will require the person to stop.

If they don't stop and we witness the nuisance we can seize the equipment making the noise and can also take the case for legal prosecution at a Magistrates Court and if the person is found guilty they'd have to pay a fine of up to £5,000 or if it's a business then this fine would be up to a maximum of £20,000.