Public Access alert,

Whilst using PublicAccess is the quickest way to get your comments logged against an application, if, for some reason PublicAccess is not available, you can email with your comments and name and address.

Housing allocation scheme

Last updated on: 09-Apr-2021

5. Financial criteria

5.1. Financial resources

If you own or jointly own a property, (including under a shared ownership arrangement) whether or not you currently live there, you will not usually be included on the Housing Register. Homeowners who need to move on medical or welfare grounds or grounds relating to a disability may be considered for sheltered, adapted or other suitable accommodation in accordance with their assessed needs where their needs cannot be met from the proceeds of the sale of the current property or their current income and capital, including savings.

If you have a total household income or capital (including savings) above the thresholds described below, you will not usually be included on the Housing Register. The current limits are for households:

  • Without dependent children with a total gross income of £40,000 or more.
  • With dependent children with a total gross income of £60,000 or more.
  • With total capital assets or savings of £16,000 or more.

Current payments of the following are disregarded as income for the purposes of this assessment:

  • Disability living allowance
  • Attendance allowance and any benefit treated as attendance allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War pensioner's mobility supplement
  • Payments in compensation for non-receipt of the above

This does not apply to homeless persons to whom the Council owes the main housing duty under section 193 of Housing Act 1996, transfer applications from existing Secure Tenants of the Council or Assured Tenants of Private Registered Providers or leaseholders where the Council is buying back the property as part of a decant programme.

5.2. Outstanding housing related debt

It is an essential policy of the Council and our partner landlords that we collect rent and other housing-related debt. Applicants who have an outstanding housing-related debt owed to the Council, another social landlord or a private sector landlord (including but not limited to rent arrears, council tax arrears, Housing Benefit over-payments and rent deposit scheme arrears) will usually be disqualified from joining the Housing Register until they have entered into a repayment plan and have made continuous repayments in accordance with the plan for a minimum period of six months.

Once their application has been accepted onto the Housing Register, repayments should continue to be made on a regular basis until the debt is cleared. If the applicant breaches their repayment plan, they will be suspended from receiving any offer of accommodation. If the applicant is successful in bidding for a social home, any outstanding debts must usually be cleared in full before a property will be allocated.

In some cases where an applicant would otherwise be offered accommodation but for such a debt and where it is considered that although regular repayments are in place there is no reasonable prospect of them repaying the debt within the time frame required because they are unable to gain employment because of  physical or mental illness, learning or physical disability, or are considered to be unable to adequately manage their finances due to health or disability reasons, the offer may still be agreed. This decision will be made by the Housing Allocations Panel.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know