We do not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

You will need to take out your own household insurance. You can make your own arrangements, or you can take out insurance using this special scheme that is open to all Gravesham Borough Council tenants.

Payment of the premium

The cost of insurance is payable weekly and premiums can be paid when you pay your rent. We can send you an application form which includes details on how to work out your weekly payment. View more information below.

Insurance for your home contents

When you take out this insurance your household goods and contents will be insured whilst in your home. The insurance also covers theft of your keys and the contents in your freezer. There is also cover for personal liability.

Accidental damage is not covered as standard other than what is detailed in the policy summary.

What you are covered for

Please refer to the enclosed policy summary which details the main circumstances that are covered (for example, fire, theft, water damage). A specimen policy booklet is available on request.

"New-for-Old" insurance

All your home contents are covered by the policy on a 'new for old' basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear. When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents. If you under value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

How to apply

You can request an application form by emailing housing.income@gravesham.gov.uk

Once you have completed the form you can either hand it in to the Civic Centre or post it to

Gravesham Borough Council
Housing Income Team
Civic Centre
Windmill Street
Kent, DA12 1AU