Hate crime

Hate Incidents

Hate incidents can be targeted at people because of their race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity.

Incidents can also be targeted at anyone who associates with people who identify with any of these groups.

Examples of hate incidents include:

  • Verbal abuse like name-calling or offensive jokes
  • Hoax calls, abusive telephone or text messages, hate mail
  • Online abuse, for example through Facebook or Twitter
  • Malicious complaints or gossip e.g. over parking or noise
  • Displaying or circulating discriminatory leaflets or posters

Hate crime

Where a criminal offence has been carried out because of hostility or prejudice based on disability, race or ethnicity, religion, transgender identity or sexual orientation, it becomes a hate crime.

Examples of hate crimes include:

  • Physical assaults
  • Damage to property
  • Theft
  • Fraud
  • Causing harassment, alarm or distress

Who can report a hate incident crime?

Anyone can report a hate incident or crime whether you are:

  • The victim
  • A witness
  • A third party reporting on behalf of someone else

There are several ways to report:

Report online

Report by telephone

  • In an emergency, always call Police using 999
  • If you cannot make voice calls, you can contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone.  However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first.  Please go to the emergencySMS website for details on how to register
  • In a non-emergency, call please Police using 101
  • If you are one of our tenants, please contact your Housing Officer in the first instance.  If you are not sure who your Housing Officer is, please contact Customer Services on tel. 01474 337000

Report by downloading a self-reporting form

  • You can download a self-reporting form and send it to your local Police Station.  The form includes an Easy Read version and can be found on the True Vision website

Report in person

  • Visit the Police Contact Point at the Civic Centre
  • Visit North Kent Police Station, Thames Way, Gravesend DA11 8BD
  • Visit the Civic Centre. Customer Services staff will be able to take details from you and report them to the Community Safety Unit and/or Housing Services as appropriate.

If you do not want to report to the Police or to the Council

  • Visit the Gateway at the Civic Centre where there are a range of services and agencies who may be able to offer you advice and support (Mon-Fri between 9.00am-5pm; closed Bank Holidays).  For more information about services available in the Gateway please contact Customer Services on tel. 01474 337000 or visit our Gateway Services webpage
  • Report to Kent Equality Cohesion Council (KECC) who can provide confidential advice and assistance. Tel. 01474 369329 or email: info@kentecc.org.uk or visit the KECC Website for more information
  • Report to Crimestoppers Tel. 0800 555111 You can report any incident or crime anonymously – none of your personal details need to be provided – but the information you provide can form very useful intelligence and will be shared with relevant Police officers.