The Knowledge Test is the first step when applying for a driver licence. Do not proceed with any of the driver licence application steps until you have passed the Knowledge Test. Doing so could lead to documentation expiring before the remaining application requirements are met. This will require new documents to be obtained which will delay the application process.
Before applying to sit the test you need to make sure that you can fulfil all of the requirements to become a licensed driver. If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to view the requirements on our Driver licence page.
We hold the tests at MidKent College, Medway Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 1FN. The college do not have any involvement with the test, its content, test conditions or rules. The nearest car park to the venue is Medway Park (leisure centre), Mill Road, Gillingham.
You must arrive no later than 30 minutes before your test time slot to register and have your ID checked. If you arrive after the applicants have been escorted to the examination room, you will not be permitted to take the test and a refund will not be given. You will have to book and pay for a test on the next available date.
We do not tolerate violence, aggression and/or abuse towards our staff and staff at the college. We will treat you with courtesy and respect and in return expect the same from you.
Staff have the right to work in a safe and healthy environment. Verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, aggression, racial or sexual abuse, discrimination or physical assault will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Violence against our staff is a crime and we will take action against anyone who behaves in a violent, aggressive or abusive manner, which will include a ban on sitting any further knowledge tests and refusal to grant a licence. Existing drivers will have their driver licence reviewed, which could result in it being revoked.
How much does it cost?
The cost is £76.00.
- You can only sit one test per date.
- You must be 21 years or older in order to apply.
- You must have held a full DVLA, Northern Ireland, or other EEA state driving licence for at least 12 months prior to the date of application.
- Spaces for the knowledge test are available on a first come, first served basis upon receipt of a complete application and payment of the required fees.
- There are no specimen tests to view or study. This is because we want our licensed drivers to have a genuine and thorough knowledge of the subject areas being tested and we do not consider this can be properly achieved or gauged where applicants are able to memorise a select number of questions and answers. We do however provide Knowledge Test Guidance giving an overview of the content to assist applicants in preparing for the test.
- Knowledge tests are generally held monthly, but may be held more or less frequently from time to time depending on demand and resources.
- Any applicant who initially passes at restricted private hire, or private hire level can apply to re-sit the knowledge test to attempt to 'upgrade' to private hire or hackney carriage, as applicable.
- All elements of the test are subject to ad-hoc variations.
- All questions are held on a database and, unless otherwise stated within the test guidance, multiple choice and selected at random.
- In the event of a technological fault which prevents the test from being taken, the test will be rescheduled at no extra charge to the applicant. This will be at our discretion.
- All applicable modules of the test must be passed during a single attempt in order to obtain an overall pass.
- The results are final and we will not enter into any discussion regarding the outcome of the test.
- If an applicant is genuinely unable to complete the test on a computer due to documented medical reasons, special arrangements can be made for them to take an equivalent written test at our discretion, however, we must receive written evidence of this from your GP.
- The Driver Knowledge Test is a computer based, multiple choice test. For further details, including example questions and pass marks, view our Knowledge Test Guidance.
- Applicants sitting the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage test will have 70 minutes to complete the test. Those sitting the Restricted Private Hire test will have 25 minutes.
- From the moment you enter to when you leave this room test conditions are in place. You must read these as you will need to sign a declaration stating you have read and agree to these conditions before your booking will be accepted.
- There will be one question displayed per page. You will need to read all questions carefully then select the correct answer(s) from the options given using the mouse. No other computer skills are needed.
- You will be able to go back through your answers during the set time limit.
Make a booking
Once you are satisfied that you can fulfil all of the requirements to become a licensed driver, set out on the Driver licence page, you can book your place on the Knowledge Test using the online form below.
It takes about 10 minutes to complete. At the end of the form you'll be asked to make payment by credit or debit card, so please have your card details to hand.
If you are unsure whether you meet the minimum requirements, or require any advice, please email the Licensing Team at email@example.com
Change or cancel my booking
Using our online form, up until 7 days before your test, you can change the date of your test or cancel your booking for a refund of £38.00.
If it is less than 7 days until your test then you cannot change the date of your test. You can still cancel your booking, however you will not receive a refund.
What happens after my test?
Results are sent to candidates via email, usually within five working days.
Candidates who pass will be able to submit a Hackney Carriage, Private Hire or Restricted Private Hire Driver Licence application by following the steps set out on the Driver licence page.
Candidates who do not achieve a pass can apply to re-sit the test using the online booking form found above.