RIDDOR Accident Reports

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrence Regulations (RIDDOR) certain types of work related accidents and diseases must be notified to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

How to report

As a business you can submit your report online through the HSE website.

The types of accident that need to be reported are as follows:

  • Fatalities
  • Major Injuries
  • Over seven day accidents
  • Accidents involving a member of the public being taken from the premises direct to hospital.

What happens next?

After submitting a report to the HSE it is then forwarded to the Local Authority within whose area the accident happened, for any further investigation. For Gravesham this will be us.

Please note that you are also responsible for carrying out your own investigation to try to identify the cause of the accident and take any remedial measures to prevent it happening again.

Your report may be used as a trigger for carrying out an inspection of the premises or we may visit to simply investigate the accident. All our inspections and actions are carried out in accordance with our Enforcement Policy and the Government's Enforcement Concordat. The purpose of the policy is to ensure that enforcement decisions are always consistent, balanced, fair and relate to common standards to ensure the public is adequately protected.

The action to be taken by the officer will be proportionate to the risk to health, safety and welfare arising from any contravention of the health and safety legislation identified. In deciding the type of action, the officer will take into account:

  • The seriousness of the offence.
  • The previous history of compliance.
  • The confidence in the management (for example, willingness to rectify and/or improve conditions).
  • The consequence of noncompliance.
  • The likely effectiveness of the various enforcement options.