Disability relief

You can get a further Council Tax reduction if you're disabled. This is called a 'Disabled Person's Relief'.

If you're given this benefit then your bill will be immediately reduced to the band below.

For example, if you are living in a Band C property and get Disabled Person's Relief, you will pay at a Band B property rate. Any property in Band A qualifies for a reduction of 1/9 of the Band D charge.

To get this reduction you need to either:

  • Have a second kitchen or bathroom to meet the needs of the disabled resident
  • Have a room that is essential for the wellbeing of the disabled resident
  • Use a wheelchair within the property

You must apply for disabled person's relief as soon as you think you are entitled. We're unable to backdate any reduction beyond 1 April in the year in which it is applied for or the date the criteria apply. If you think you are entitled to disabled person's relief, please contact the Council Tax on 01474 337700.