Sometimes you might not have to pay Council Tax. This is called an exemption.

If an adult is living alone or all of the adults in the house fall into any of the areas below then there may not be any council tax bill to pay for some or all of the time.

  • If you're 18 and your parents are still getting child benefit
  • If you're a student in full-time education
  • If you're 18 or 19 and have just left school or further education
  • If you're caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • If you're being looked after in a care home
  • If you're in prison
  • If you have a mental health condition
  • If you're an apprentice
  • If you're a patient in hospital for a long time
  • If you work for International Headquarters and defence organisation
  • If you're staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • If your part of a religious community

If you think you qualify for an exemption, contact us.