Become a Parish councillor

A parish council is a local authority that makes decisions on behalf of the people in the parish. It is the level of government closest to the community, with Gravesham Borough Council above it in the hierarchy.

In Gravesham there are six Parish Councils:

  • Cobham Parish Council
  • Higham Parish Council
  • Luddesdown Parish Council
  • Meopham Parish Council
  • Shorne Parish Council
  • Vigo Parish Council

Once elected, councillors sit on the council for a maximum of four years. If they then want to stay in the post they can stand for re-election. The next full election for all Parish Councillors in Gravesham will be in May 2023.

You do not need any formal qualifications to stand as a parish councillor. In order to stand for election you need to be:

  • at least 18 years old - there is no maximum age limit
  • a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of a member state of the European Union
  • registered as a local government elector for the parish in which you wish to stand, or have been owner or tenant of any land or premises in the parish for 12 months before standing, have had your principal place of work in the parish for 12 months before standing, or have lived in the parish area or within three miles of it during the whole of the 12 months before standing

You cannot stand if:

  • you work for the parish council
  • you are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
  • you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more within five years before the election
  • you have been disqualified under legislation relating to corrupt or illegal electoral practices.

How do I find out more information?

Prior to elections, briefing sessions for potential candidates and their agents are held here at the Civic Centre, Gravesend. The briefing will cover the nomination process to be followed and arrangements for polling day and the count.

Further information and guidance on becoming a Parish Councillor and the nomination papers required is published by the Electoral Commission.