Report a drainage problem

All underground foul drainage complaints that don't involve cesspits or septic tanks should be made to Southern Water Services who will investigate responsibility and inform us if necessary.

This includes all reports of overflowing sewer inspection chambers in the street.

You can contact them by calling 0800 820 999 or by visiting the Southern Water website.

If Southern Water tell you they're not responsible for the affected drainage then you can contact us. Problems with cesspits, septic tanks and private foul drainage serving just one property can be reported to us.

You can report foul drainage issues to us by emailing or by phoning 01474 337000.

Once we've got your report we'll assess the level of public health risk and if appropriate contact the occupiers/owners of the property to ask them to fix the problem.

Please be aware that we are not the regulator for local water authorities therefore if you have a complaint against Southern Water you should first contact them. If they do not resolve your issue you can make a complaint to the Consumer Council for Water.

If you're a private tenant and your landlord has not fixed the problem with the drains then you can let us know by emailing

If you're a council tenant reporting a problem with the drainage in your home then please contact your Housing Officer.

If you wish to report a blocked roadside surface drain on a public road then you should contact Kent County Council Highways online with there report a problem system. They are responsible for maintaining surface water drainage on public highways.

If the surface drainage to a private road is defective then it would be the responsibility of the road’s owners to remedy. The council is unlikely to be able to assist you with this, however if damage is being caused to your property then you should contact your building insurance company for assistance.

If you own your property and your private drainage, whether that is foul or rain/surface water, is defective then you are advised to contact your building insurance company, who may be able to arrange for suitable works.