Public Access alert,

Whilst using PublicAccess is the quickest way to get your comments logged against an application, if, for some reason PublicAccess is not available, you can email with your comments and name and address.

Welfare reform

Last updated on: 09-Apr-2021

4. Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people who are looking for work or are on a low income.

Universal Credit replaces the following working age benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you will be transferred as part of a managed process by 2022. You may be transferred sooner if there is a change to one of your benefits or if you need to make a new claim. You’ll receive a letter if you are affected by the change to Universal Credit.

How to apply

When you apply you will need:

  • Registered ID, for example, passport or driving licence
  • A registered UK bank account
  • A computer with internet access

You can apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Help to pay your rent

When you claim Universal Credit you will need to tell them about your rent so that you can get help to pay your rent. This is known as Housing Costs. If your rent is currently paid direct to your landlord, in the future it will be paid to you. You will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord.

Help with Council Tax

Council Tax Reduction is dealt with by Gravesham Borough Council. If you claim Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions and you already receive Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to reapply. If you are a new claimant for Council Tax Reduction, you will need to apply through the council.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know