Public Access alert,

Public Access is currently down for maintenance, please check back later.

Drains and sewers

Last updated on: 16-Oct-2020

2. Report a drainage problem

All underground drainage complaints that don't involve cesspits or septic tanks should be made to Southern Water Services who will investigate responsibility and inform us if necessary.

This includes all reports of overflowing inspection chambers in the street.

You can contact them by calling 0800 820 999 or by visiting the Southern Water website.

If Southern Water tell you they're not responsible for the affected drainage then you can contact us. Problems with cesspits, septic tanks and private drainage serving just one property can be reported to us.

You can report drainage issues to us by emailing or by phoning 01474 337000.

Once we've got your report we'll assess the level of public health risk and if appropriate contact the occupiers/owners of the property to ask them to fix the problem.

Please be aware that we are not the regulator for local water authorities therefore if you have a complaint against Southern Water you should first contact them. If they do not resolve your issue you can make a complaint to the Consumer Council for Water.

If you're a private tenant and your landlord has not fixed the problem with the drains then you can let us know by emailing

If you're a council tenant reporting a problem with the drainage in your home then please contact your Housing Officer.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know