Pavement Licences

Last updated on: 12-Apr-2021

1. Overview

A pavement licensing scheme under the Business and Planning Act 2020 has been introduced to simplify the street trading system up to 21 September 2020 in response to restarting the economy following the COVID-19 pandemic, providing a simplified streamlined process. Social distancing guidelines remain in place.

These new measures will support businesses selling food and drink such as cafes, pubs and restaurants, by introducing a temporary fast-track process. Companies will need to obtain permission, in the form of a 'pavement licence', should they wish to place tables and chairs on the public highway outside their premises. The pavement licence does not apply to private land, that is not on the highway.

Who is eligible?

You may only apply if your business is:

  • A public house, wine bar or other drinking establishment; and/or
  • For the sale of food or drink for consumption on or off the premises.

Any furniture used must only be used:

  • To sell or serve food and/or drink supplied from, or in connection with, the relevant use of the premises
  • By other persons for the purpose of consuming food or drink supplied from, or in connection with, the relevant use of the premises.


The licence costs £100. The licence will be subject to the following conditions:

Conditions of the new licence includes prohibiting smoking within the licensed area. Businesses will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the no-smoking conditions and failure to do so could result in their Pavement Licence being revoked.

Licences will be restricted to exclude times and days when markets are taking place.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know