Public Access alert,

Public Access is currently down for maintenance, please check back later.

Dropped kerbs

Last updated on: 22-Feb-2021

1. Overview

Kent County Council is responsible for putting in a dropped kerb. A dropped kerb is where there is a dip in the path and kerb that lets you park your car on a driveway outside your house.

The kerb is dropped from the normal height and the path is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle. Without this, the path and any pipes that are buried below it could be damaged.

If your road isn't listed as a classified road then you might not need planning permission. However, when making your dropped kerb application to Kent County Council (KCC) you will be asked to provide written confirmation from us stating whether planning permission is required. For more information, including the fee, view our pre-application service page.

Once you have the written confirmation letter from us, you can apply for a dropped kerb. See how to apply for information on:

  • What you need to know before you apply
  • Application costs
  • Building costs
  • Tracking an existing application
  • Legal information

Applying for planning permission first

You may need to apply for planning permission from us first, before applying to Kent County Council.

For example, you'll need planning permission if:

  • your property is divided into flats
  • your property is in a conservation area and you need to make boundary changes and / or an Article 4 is in place
  • you need engineering work to make the parking area (for example, where a sloping area of land needs to be made level)
  • in most cases, where the access would cross land other than pavement, or land within your curtilage (such as a wide grass verge or amenity strip/green area)
  • the dropped kerb is going to be installed on an A, B or C class road

Check what class the road is by using our Classified roads page.

Further advice on whether planning permission is required can be viewed:

Vehicle Accesses on Classified Highways

If a planning permission is required, you can find advice on what forms, fees and drawings must accompany the planning application here:

Vehicle Access & Crossover Bite Size Visual Guidance

Once you have the appropriate information to support your application, please visit how to apply.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know