Apply for a Scrap metal licence
Any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap will require a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence from us.
There are two types of licence:
- A site licence (allows you to operate a site and collect scrap relevant to that site)
- A collector's licence (allows you to collect scrap within the authority area the licence is issued)
An application needs to be made for your licence and a fee will be payable to us. You will also need to complete our basic criminal record disclosure form as part of the application process.
Any persons who carry out business as a scrap metal dealer without a licence may be liable on conviction to a maximum fine of £5,000.
Please note that in order to collect or transport scrap metal legally, in addition to obtaining a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence from us you will also need a Waste Carrier's Licence issued by the Environment Agency. You can register for this via GOV.UK.
How much does it cost?
|Licence Type||Part A||Part B||Total|
|Site Licence (new and renewal)||£385||£239||£624|
|Collectors Licence (new and renewal)||£304||£60||£364|
How do I apply?
Please note: Since April 2022, applicants are required to complete an additional tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when they apply or renew their licence. Full details can be found on the HMRC Tax Check Factsheet.
- Before applying to us, please first read the guidance notes.
- Download and complete our Disclosure of convictions and declaration form.
- Download and complete the Scrap Metal Dealer application form.
- Pay the relevant fee using our online form
- If you are applying for a collectors licence we need a photograph of the applicant. If you are applying for a Site Licence we need a photograph of the Site Manager. See the photo submission guidance.
- Submit your application to: Licensing, Gravesham Borough Council, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent DA12 1AU
Please remember that in order to collect or transport scrap metal legally, you will need to make sure that you are registered as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency. You can register for this via GOV.UK.