Rename or renumber a road

Request naming, re-naming or numbering

If you would like your property to be given an ascribed postal address, you can contact us with your suggested name or number. There is no guarantee that we will accept your suggestion in all cases. If a name can be used, we will do the necessary checks to ensure that there is no property in the area with the same or similar name.

If the house is in a road where all the properties have names, for example in rural areas, the developer, owner or residents should observe other names in close proximity before giving the property a name, so as not to risk having the same or similar name to another property which could cause problems to the postal and emergency services.

Houses built in a gap or another property's land

You will be required to give either a name or number. The general rule is that in a road which has a numbering system, the new property must have a number for ease of identification by the postal and emergency services. If the numbers are already consecutive within the street then the new property will have to be allocated an 'A', 'B' or 'C' and so on. This suffix is generally added to the number of the property which has had the house built on their land.

Changing from house number to house name

In a numbered road, the ascribed postal number must be retained. A name can be added to your address but not exchanged for the number. If the emergency services are called out to a house number, they can more readily locate your property if one or two properties have names.

Note: Mixing house names and numbers within a street does not help with locating your property in an emergency.

Changing names of properties

We understand that people may not always like the name of the house they have purchased. If you are still in the process of negotiation and think you might like to change the name, we would advise you to make contact with us closer to the moving in date.

How do I apply?

  • Download, complete and return the House Name and Numbering application form
  • In the form, give your choice of name, quote the planning reference and provide a telephone number in case we cannot locate your property on the plan.
  • If changing the name, please quote the date you would like this to be effective. 
  • Submit your application to:

Street Naming and Numbering, IT Services, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, DA12 1AU