Dropped kerbs

3. How to apply

If your road isn't listed as a classified road then you won't need planning permission. However, when making your dropped kerb application to Kent County Council you will be asked to provide written confirmation from us stating that the road is not classified. For this letter we charge a fee of £18. For more information, view our pre-application service page.

Once you have obtained the written confirmation letter,  you can visit Kent County Council's website to apply for a dropped kerb. They'll have information on:

  • What you need to know before you apply
  • Application costs
  • Building costs
  • Tracking an existing application
  • Legal information

Due to the current volume of applications to Kent County Council, it is likely to take four to eight weeks to process your application from the date they receive it. Once approved, you have 12 months to complete the work. If you have not completed it in this time, you will need to re-apply.

Applying for planning permission first

If you want a dropped kerb that is classed as a classified road then you will need to apply for planning permission from us first, before applying to Kent County Council.