How to buy sacks

You can buy garden sacks by completing our online form.

Once you've bought your sacks, you will need to collect them from either the Civic Centre or Gravesend Borough Market.

How much do they cost?

You can buy sacks in packs of 5 or 25.

A pack of 5 costs £10 and a pack of 25 costs £50 and you can buy as many packs as you need.

What can I put in a sack?

  • Hedge cuttings
  • Cut flowers
  • Plants
  • Grass cuttings
  • Twigs
  • Prunings
  • Leaves
  • Weeds
  • Dead plants
  • Bark and wood waste from a tree

Soil is classed as hardcore and not garden waste. Sacks containing soil will not be collected.

How often are sacks collected?

We collect garden waste once every two weeks and it's collected on the same day as your recycling.

If you're already using the service and can't remember your collection day you can check using our bin collection day search.

Please note that garden waste sacks can only be collected from the property that signed up to the service. You can't share sacks you've purchased with other properties.

What you need to do on collection day

Put your garden waste sacks in your normal collection place (usually the front of your property) by 7am on the day of your collection. They will be collected by 4pm and you don't need to be in when we come to collect them. There is no limit to the amount of sacks you put out for collection.

If we have arranged an assisted collection with you then leave your garden waste sacks at the agreed collection point.

As these are paper-based sacks, please ensure that you do not leave them out in the rain. We advise you to store them in a dry place until your collection day.

Other ways to recycle garden waste

Did you know you can recycle your garden waste at home by composting? 

  • The importance of composting
  • How to compost at home
  • Using the compost you make

Find information about recycling from Recycle Now

Home composting products

You can also take advantage of reduced priced environmental products such as home compost bins, water butts, food waste digesters. 

Pepperhill tip

You can also take your unwanted items to the Pepperhill Household Waste and Recycling Centre run by Kent County Council. Visit their website to see what items you can take to the tip.