Law and Policy
The questions within this section will test your knowledge of our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and the two main pieces of legislation that govern taxi and private hire licensing in the UK:
- The Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (sections 37 onwards)
- The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 (Part II)
It is extremely important that all licence holders know the council’s expectations and the requirements placed upon them, so that they can carry out their work appropriately and in line with local policy and legal obligations.
The minimum pass mark for all applicants is therefore 8 out of 10.
An example question is shown below:
When should the taximeter be started?
- When the last passenger gets in the vehicle
- When the journey commences
- When the driver leaves base
- When the driver arrives at a pick up destination
- When the first passenger gets in the vehicle
Hackney and Private Hire Policies
Please find the full policies below: