Object to a Premises Licence

Who can object to a licence application?

We welcome individuals, responsible authorities (for example, police, fire authority and trading standards), and certain groups, to comment (make a representation) on the proposed application of, or variation to, a licence.

Representations can be made either against or in support of a licence application.

Apart from responsible authorities, any ward Councillor can raise a representation to an application as well as any other individual, body or business, regardless of their geographic proximity to the premises making the application. However, a representation must have valid reasons, based on the licensing objectives detailed below, in order for it to be accepted. In other words representations cannot be for purely aspirational or business reasons.

Any of these individuals or groups may also specifically request that their representations are made via a third party - for example a legal representative, a friend, or a local Councillor or Member of Parliament could all act in such a capacity.

Grounds for a relevant representation

Please be aware that, by law, we are only bound to consider representations on specific grounds and can only consider representations that are about the likely effect of the licence on the promotion of the four licensing objectives that are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • the protection of public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

For example, if you are concerned that the granting of a licence or variation to a licence will lead to an increase in crime and disorder in the area or the premises, this is a relevant representation.

However, if you are concerned that the granting of longer hours at the premises will lower house prices in the area, this is not a relevant representation and cannot be considered by us.

We also cannot consider representations that we deem frivolous or vexatious. A frivolous complaint could be one that is lacking in seriousness; a vexatious representation may be one that is made purely to cause annoyance to the applicant.

If relevant representations are received then we will arrange to mediate to try to find a reasonable compromise. However, if it appears that we cannot find a solution via this manner then we will hold a hearing to consider relevant representations concerning applications to vary a licence.

How do I make a representation?

  1. Download and complete the representation form.
  2. Make sure to include your name and address when making this representation as we cannot accept your representation without it.
  3. Submit your form to: Licensing, Gravesham Borough Council, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1AU

Please note that your name and address will be disclosed to the applicant. Your representations must reach us within a period of 28 days after the application was made. Late representations will not be considered. If you are unsure when the application was made you can check with us or look at the advertising of the application.

Should you wish to make an enquiry, you can contact the licensing team by emailing licensing@gravesham.gov.uk