High hedges

If a neighbour's hedge has grown too high and is negatively affecting you, then you may be able to make a complaint to us.

Making a complaint should be used as a last resort. There are steps that you should take before you get to that point.

Before making a complaint

There are some things that you should consider before making a complaint. We can only look at a complaint if the hedge is:

  • blocking out light or access
  • more than two metres tall
  • mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen
  • made up of a line of two or more trees or shrubs

Have you spoken to your neighbour?

It's important that you first try to resolve the issue with your neighbour by talking to them. If you write to your neighbour, keep copies of the letters.

When making your complaint you'll need to provide evidence that you've tried to resolve the problem.

For tips and advice on approaching your neighbour and settling differences, view the GOV.UK garden hedge guidance

Making a complaint

If you have tried speaking to your neighbour but were unable to resolve the problem, you can make a complaint to us. Please contact planning.enforcement@gravesham.gov.uk to receive the application form.

The service costs £320, and this fee is non-refundable.

We might reject your complaint if we think:

  • You haven't made enough effort to resolve the problem
  • Your complaint isn't serious

It's important to note that we do not mediate between you and your neighbour. If we decide that your complaint is valid, we'll look at all the facts and then come to a decision.

For more information, please view the GOV.UK complaints guidance on raising a complaint about a high hedge.