Private rented repairs

We work closely with landlords and tenants to encourage and promote responsible renting. We have legal powers to ensure your landlord carries out certain repairs within your rented property.

The government has guidance for landlords and tenants in the private rented sector. Find out about your rights and responsibilities as a landlord and tenant and what to do if you have any issues. 


Your landlord is responsible for fixing most repair problems in your rented home. This applies to private, council and housing association landlords. You should check your tenancy agreement as it should include details of who is responsible for repair problems.

Landlord repair responsibilities

By law, your landlord must make sure your home is safe, free from hazards and in good repair.

  • the structure and exterior of the building, including the walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows
  • sinks, baths, toilets, pipes and drains
  • heating and hot water
  • chimneys and ventilation
  • gas appliances
  • electrical wiring

Your landlord is also responsible for repairing the common parts of a building, such as entrance halls, communal stairways and shared kitchens.

Your landlord cannot enter your home without booking a time with you in advance. Landlords also cannot arrange for anyone else to visit your home without notice. This includes builders and other tradespeople. Visit Shelter's website  for more information. 

Your landlord must have any council-issued licences that may be required. Check if your rented home should have a licence.

If your property should have a licence and your landlord does not have one, they may not be able to evict you. You may also be able to claim a rent repayment order. Shelter's website has more information on rent repayment orders.

Tenant's repair responsibilities

You must use your home in a responsible way. You should:

  • keep it clean
  • not damage the property and make sure your guests don't either
  • carry out minor maintenance such as replacing smoke alarm batteries
  • keep chimneys and ventilation free of blockages

You are usually responsible for minor repairs, such as changing a light bulb or replacing a fuse. Your landlord is not responsible for fixing any appliances or furniture you own. They are your responsibility.

You probably have to pay for repairs if you cause damage to the property, even if it's accidental. You shouldn't have to pay for normal wear and tear to your home.

Private tenancy issues

if you have any issues with a property you are renting which has not been resolved by your landlord or managing agent please fill in our online form.

Tell us about an issue with your private tenancy