If the holder of a Club Premises Certificate wishes to make minor changes to that licence then a shortened application procedure known as a 'minor variation' may be used.

What are minor variations used for?

Minor variations will generally fall into four categories:

  • Minor changes to the structure or layout of a premises
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours
  • Removing out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions and/or adding volunteered conditions
  • Adding certain licensable activities

What can't they be used for?

The following actions are not classed as minor variations, and must be treated as full variations in all cases:

  • Extending licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol for consumption on or off the premises between the hours of 11pm and 7am.
  • Increasing the amount of time, on any premises, during which alcohol may be sold or supplied for consumption on or off the premises.

Applications to reduce licensing hours for the sale of alcohol or to move (without increasing) the licensed hours between 7am and 11pm will normally be classed as minor variations.

If you think that you will need a full variation of a licence, then you can apply for a full variation. Otherwise, please continue to the next page to make an application for a minor variation.