Claim Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay for part or all of your rent.

You could get Housing Benefit if you:

  • pay rent
  • are on a low income or claiming benefits
  • have savings below £16,000

You can apply if you’re unemployed or working. If you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

Our benefits calculator will help you find out what benefits you can claim.

How we assess Housing Benefit claims

When we work out the amount of Housing Benefit you're entitled to we look at:

  • How much money you have coming in
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.  If you rent from a private landlord take a look at Local Housing Allowance.
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you).
  • If you have lodgers, grown-up children or relatives living with you your benefit may be reduced. This is because the Government consider that other adults should contribute to the household. The amount of the contribution depends on their age and income.

You'll need to remember Housing Benefit cannot help with mortgage payments. If you need help with this you can get information from the Money Advice Service.

Evidence we need to see

As part of your claim we need to see:

  • Original documents - photocopies are not acceptable.
  • We will need to see proof of who you are – this could be a passport or driving licence.
  • We will also need to see evidence of your National Insurance Number, such as a P60, pay slip, National Insurance card or your benefit book.

Other information we will need to see will depend on your circumstances. 

How to apply

From 27 January 2021, we will only accept new Housing Benefit claims from:

  • Pensioners
  • People in certain types of exempt or specified accommodation
  • People placed in temporary accommodation by Gravesham Borough Council

Download and complete the Benefits application form and return your form along with the original supporting documentation.

As part of your application we'll need to see original documents, not photocopies. If your original documents are posted to us or left at our offices, they will be posted back to you. If you post or leave original documents to us you do this at your own risk. 

When returning please send to: Benefits Section, Gravesham Borough Council, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent DA12 1AU. 

Appeal against a decision

If you are unhappy with a Housing Benefit decision, you can make an appeal. You have 1 month to make an appeal from the date of your decision letter.

Your appeal should be in writing, first requesting for an explanation of our decision. We'll then send you a 'statement of reasons' which tells you how everything's been worked out.

If you are still unhappy, you can ask us to look at your application again. 

If the decision can be changed

We will send you a letter explaining what the new decision is. If your request is within one month of our decision letter, the new decision will apply from the date of the decision. If we receive your letter later than one month after our decision letter, the new decision will normally apply from the date we receive the request. If you don't agree with the new decision you can still ask for it to be looked at again.

If the decision can't be changed

We will send you a letter confirming the original decision. The letter will tell you if you can appeal. If you can and want to appeal, you must start this process within one month from the date of the letter confirming our decision.