Claim Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a means-tested benefit.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction if you fall into any of the following criteria:You own your home (either outright or you have a mortgage)

  • You rent your home
  • You are the person whose name is on the council tax bill. If you are jointly responsible for the council tax we may be able to help with your share of the bill
  • You are on a low income
  • You are 18 years of age

Make sure you read more about the Council Tax Reduction Scheme before applying

How to apply


The quickest and easiest way to apply is by logging into your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction account. You can create an account if you don't already have one.

By post

Alternatively, you can complete the Benefits application form, and return your form along with the original supporting documentation.

We will need to see original documents, not photocopies to process your application. If your original documents are posted to us or left at our offices, they will be posted back to you. If you post or leave original documents, you do this at your own risk. 

Return application to: 

Benefits Section, Gravesham Borough Council, Civic Centre, Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent DA12 1AU.

If you have claimed Universal Credit since 1 April 2022, we will use your Universal Credit claim to calculate your Council Tax Reduction.  We may still contact you to provide supporting documentation.

Appeal a decision

If you don't agree with our decision, there are steps you can take to appeal. 

  1. Ask for an explanation of the decision. This needs to be done within one month of the date on your decision letter. We'll then send you a 'statement of reasons which tells you how everything has been worked out.
  2. Ask us to look at your application again. If you think we have made a mistake you can ask us to look at our decision again; this is called a grievance. We will check your application thoroughly and take account of any information you have given.
  3. Appeal against the council tax reduction decision if we have looked at the original decision and it cannot be changed. You can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal, if you have first written to us to ask for your decision to be looked at again. The Valuation Tribunal will only how the reduction scheme has been applied to your individual case. 

Read the Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Read about the Council Tax Reduction scheme, the eligibility and how it is applied.

Read the scheme