Apply for a Personal Licence

As part of our shared licensing service, you can now submit a Personal Licence Application to Gravesham Borough Council or Medway Council using our online form

Any person wishing to sell or supply alcohol must hold a Personal Licence.

  • You must be aged 18 years or over to apply for a Personal Licence.
  • You must be entitled to live and work in the UK.
  • Persons normally resident in Gravesham or Medway should apply to us. Those who reside outside of Gravesham or Medway should apply to their local Council.
  • You may hold only one Personal Licence at any one time.

What do I need in order to apply for a Personal Licence?

You must first hold a licensing qualification.

The aim of the Personal Licence qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

The Home Secretary has provided a list of accredited companies that can provide this training and qualification.

You will find the list on GOV.UK

You must also obtain a basic criminal convictions certificate from GOV.UK Request Criminal Record prior to submitting your application.  Please remember that the certificate can not be any older than 30 days when you submit it with your application.

If you feel that you meet the above criteria then you are welcome to apply for a Personal Licence.

Apply for a personal licence

You can apply for a Personal Licence using our online form. It takes about 10 minutes to complete. The application costs £37. At the end of the form we’ll ask you to pay by debit or credit card, so please have your details to hand.

We'll ask you for:

  • Your personal details
  • Details of any relevant convictions and civil penalties
  • A copy of your Criminal Conviction Certificate (Basic Disclosure)
  • Two photographs of the applicant. One must be endorsed as a true likeness. See our photo submission guidance
  • A copy of your licensing qualification
  • Proof of your right to work in the UK. Please read Note 2 of the Personal Licence Guidance Notes.

Please note that the rehabilitation period of relevant convictions is normally five years. Should you apply for a Personal Licence with these convictions still current then we are obliged to notify the Police who may lodge an objection to the application. In which case it may be that the application will be decided by hearing of the Licensing Panel.

If your application is refused you have the right to appeal to the Magistrates' Court within 21 days from the date you were notified of the decision.