Routine system maintenance is scheduled between 5.00am to 9.00am on Friday 12 October. During this time, Public Access may be unavailable. Sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Public Access alert,

Public Access is currently down for maintenance, please check back later.

View, comment or object to planning applications

Last updated on: 15-Feb-2021

2. Guidance

Please find details below of other ways you can comment on planning applications and what comments can be taken into account.

Ways to comment on planning applications


Submitting comments online is the simplest way for your views to be shared.


You can email

Please quote the application number (for example, 20200001) in the subject of the email and make it clear whether you are objecting, supporting or making neutral comments against the application. You will receive an acknowledgement to your email.


Alternatively, you may write to us at;

Planning Admin
Gravesham Borough Council
Civic Centre
Windmill Street
DA12 1AU

Please allow enough time for postage and processing of written comments.

We are unable to take into account comments made over the telephone.

When will we consult

Whilst not all applications require public consultation, the majority of planning applications are subject to some form of mandatory consultation. This normally lasts 21 days and can include one or more of the following, depending on the nature of the application and the legal requirements:

  • A neighbour notification letter sent to owner/occupiers of adjoining properties by post.
  • A site notice displayed on or near the land to which the application relates which is visible to the public.
  • An advertisement in a local newspaper
  • Re-consultation following amendments to applications may last a shorter period, and will only occur where the changes made are significant.

If you have a complaint related to any of these issues, you should normally seek a remedy under civil law rather than planning law. You may need to consult a solicitor about your rights in this context.

What to include when commenting on a Planning Application

For comments to be taken into account, they must include the name and the address of the person.

Please note that under the Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985, your comments, including your name and address are open to inspection by the public, and in the event of an appeal, may be referred to the Secretary of State. Comments received may be published on the Council's website. For this reason we recommend that if it is necessary to provide this information, that you clearly highlight, or put any personal or sensitive details such as your telephone number and email address on a separate piece of paper where writing in.

What can you comment on

We can only take into account comments that concern relevant material planning considerations and not those based on personal dislikes, grievances, non-planning issues associated with nuisance claims or legal disputes, etc.

Examples of material considerations include:

  • The site design and external appearance of proposals, such as height or bulk in relation to neighbouring properties
  • Loss of sunlight of daylight
  • Loss of privacy
  • Likelihood of excess noise or fumes
  • Concerns over parking, access or impact on traffic
  • Effect on trees or landscape
  • Proposals for boundary treatment (walls or fences)

What can't you comment on

Objections which are generally not planning related and not normally taken into consideration include:

  • Effect on property valued
  • Effect on a buildings structural stability (this may be covered by the Building regulations)
  • Noise, disturbance or inconvenience resulting from construction works (this is covered by the Control of Pollution Act)
  • Boundary disputes (including Party Wall agreement issues)
  • Restrictive covenants (including rights to light)
  • Opposition to business competition
  • Applicant's personal circumstances (unless these can be shown to be relevant in planning terms e.g. provision of disabled facilities)
  • Opposition to the principle of development for which outline planning permission has already been granted

If you have a complaint related to any of these issues, you should normally seek a remedy under civil law rather than planning law. You may need to consult a solicitor about your rights in this context.

What happens when comments are received?

All comments received are read and, where they concern material planning considerations, are taken into account in the determination of the application they relate to.

A summary of comments received is included in the planning officers' report and where appropriate the comments will be referred to by the planning officer.

Any relevant comments received from statutory and non-statutory consultees are also specifically referred to within the report.


Was the information on this page helpful?

Let us know