Housing register - who can apply?

You can apply for council housing through us. You'll usually have to join a waiting list and you're not guaranteed to get a property.

Check if you are eligible

The rules about whether you are eligible to join the housing register are set out in our housing allocation policy. 

You can apply to join the housing register if you're over the age of 16 and:

  • have a right to live in the UK

  • live or have family/employment connections in the borough  (subject to verification)
  • You'll have a local connection if you have lived and/or worked continuously in the borough for the last three years
  • have a housing need listed in our allocations policy

Who can't apply?

You may not be accepted onto our register if:

  • you're under immigration control
  • you've been asked to leave a previous property due to unacceptable behaviour*

Unacceptable behaviour* is:

  • anti-social behaviour
  • conviction of criminal offences which pose local threat
  • a breach in tenancy conditions
  • substantial tenancy arrears

If you live outside the borough

If you don't live in our area, you may not be able to apply for housing unless:

  • you're a member or previously serving member (within five years) of the armed forces
  • there are exceptional circumstances which require you to be in our area

Other housing options 

If you don't meet our criteria, private renting may be your best option. You can find out more on our private housing page.

Housing Allocations

Our housing allocation scheme sets out our priorities for social housing in the borough.

Read the policy