Empty property relief
You may not have to pay business rates on an empty property if any of the following apply
- Industrial properties, for example warehouses or factories, are exempt for up to 6 months
- Non-industrial, such as a shop or office or gym, are exempt for up to 3 months
- An empty listed building (you will need to provide the listed building number).
- The property is empty and has a rateable value of less than 2,900
- Empty properties owned by charities if the next use of the property is for charitable purposes.
If you think your property might qualify for a reduction or exemption because it is empty, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Empty Properties Requiring Refurbishment or other works
There is no relief for a property that is requiring refurbishment and you will only receive one of the reliefs above. If you cannot use your property because of refurbishment you should tell the VOA about this. The will assess whether the property should pay business rates.
You should use your business rates valuation account to notify the VOA of any changes Business rates valuation account.