Cost of living support

The government is offering help and support for the rising cost of living. Visit GOV.UK to see what support you could be eligible for.

Council Tax reduction

If you are on a low income, or claim benefits like Universal Credit, you may be able to get a Council Tax Reduction.

Single person discount

If you are the only adult living at your address, you may be eligible for a Single Person Discount, reducing the amount you pay by 25%.


If you live in an annex or you have an annex that no-one lives in you may be able to get a 50% discount.

Disabled Banding Relief

You can get a further Council Tax discount if you're disabled. This is called 'Disabled Banding Relief'.

Child benefit

When child benefit is being paid for a person over 18, that person doesn't need to pay Council Tax.

Struggling to pay

If you’re struggling to pay your Council Tax, you should contact us as soon as possible.

Severely mentally impaired

Some people classed as severely mentally impaired could be exempt from paying council tax, or may be able to pay at a reduced rate.


If you’re a full-time student you don’t need to pay council tax, unless you are the only one living at the address.