Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse and can take many forms including, but not limited to, psychological, physical, sexual, financial and emotional. Victims are not confined to one gender or ethnic group.
There are many services across Gravesham and Kent that are there to support victims of domestic abuse.
In an emergency always call Kent Police on 999.
- Domestic abuse support for Kent and Medway - Find support across Kent
- National domestic abuse helpline - visit their website or call 0808 2000 247
- Gallop - They support LGBT+ people who have experienced abuse and violence. You can visit their website or call 0800 999 5428
- Man Kind - For male victims of domestic abuse you can visit Man Kind's website or call 01823 334244
- Victim support - visit their website or call 08081 689111
- Your housing association or landlord
Remember, numbers will show up on an itemised phone bill, if this could put the victim in any danger, you may prefer to use a public or agency phone instead.
If you, or someone you know is at risk of being homeless because of domestic abuse visit our fleeing domestic abuse page for more information on support that may be available to you.
There are plenty of ways to get involved, raise awareness and prevent things from happening.
Training and free courses are available for businesses and individuals.
- Certain Curtain Theatre - Professional plays that bring a unique approach to engaging people in sensitive issues.
- Women's Aid - Qualifications designed to develop and sharpen the professional skills of advocates who work in many different roles in the field of domestic abuse.
- Ava Project - A range of courses offered to suit different audiences.
- IDVAS - Domestic abuse training for employers.
- Right of Women - helping women through the law - High quality, practical training courses for practitioners working with women on key areas of law affecting women.
- Womens aid - Free E-Learning Resources.
- Free courses in England - Free online domestic abuse course will help you understand the signs and risk factors associated with domestic abuse.