Do I need planning permission?

You will need to get planning permission for a new building or for any major changes to existing buildings.

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. This is known as permitted development. 

You can explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House for guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects.

What is permitted development?

Permitted development means that you may be able to carry out certain work to your home without needing to apply for planning permission.

In order to be classed as permitted development, the work must satisfy certain conditions. The Planning Portal website has a list of common projects which offers guidance on the many different types of alterations to households.

It is your responsibility to check whether you need planning permission. If you are in doubt, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (existing or proposed) which is proof that you're building work is lawful. You will have to pay a fee, information is available on the Planning Portal - Lawful certificates webpage.

Can I get planning advice before applying for permission?

Our pre-application advice service aims to provide consistent advice and reduce the likelihood of submitting invalid applications. It can also help to reduce the time taken to progress an application through the formal decision making process.

Although pre-application advice cannot guarantee your planning applications success, it can provide an experienced opinion and advice which helps save time and money whilst enabling speedier planning decisions to be made. 

Information and forms are available on the pre-application advice webpage, along with a list of fees for this service.

How do I make a planning application?

You can submit a planning application via the apply for planning permission webpage.

 You can also apply using the Planning Portal - Applications webpage. If you choose this option, the correct application form will be selected for you. The Planning Portal website also allows you to securely submit and pay for an application online. 

The documents and plans required in order to submit an application can be found on the checklists for planning applications webpages.

You can find out how to pay for planning permission. 

Is my property listed?

Buildings are listed to identify and protect our heritage.

Listed building consent will be required for the removal of existing walls or the installation of new internal walls in a listed building, as a general rule.

To learn more about how buildings are added to the national register and details of the locations of listed buildings in the borough, go to our listed building pages. 

Is my property in a conservation area?

There are a number of conservation areas across the borough. A much wider range of changes to houses within Conservation Areas, including replacement windows and doors, are likely to require planning permission.

To find out if your property is in a conservation area, conservation area maps and appraisal and management plans are available to view on the find out about conservation areas webpage.

What should I do if I have concerns about my neighbours' buildings work?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

If you believe a breach of planning has occurred, you can report it to our Planning Enforcement Team by using the online form on the planning enforcement page (or what it will be called). You can also find information on how we respond to breaches of planning control, and provides details of works we can and cannot investigate.