Do I need planning permission?

You will need to get planning permission for a new building or for any major changes to existing buildings.

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. This is known as permitted development. 

You can explore the Planning Portal's Interactive House for guidance on permitted development and many common householder projects.

What is permitted development?

Permitted development means that you may be able to carry out certain work to your home without needing to apply for planning permission.

In order to be classed as permitted development, the work must satisfy certain conditions. The Planning Portal website has a list of common projects which offers guidance on the many different types of alterations to households.

It is your responsibility to check whether you need planning permission. If you are in doubt, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (existing or proposed) which is proof that your building work is lawful. You will have to pay a fee, see further information on the Planning Portal.

Can I get planning advice before applying for permission?

Our pre-application advice service aims to provide consistent advice and reduce the likelihood of submitting invalid applications. It can also help to reduce the time taken to progress an application through the formal decision making process.

Although pre-application advice cannot guarantee your planning applications success, it can provide an experienced opinion and advice which helps save time and money whilst enabling speedier planning decisions to be made. 

Find out more about our pre-application service including how to apply and fees

How do I make a planning application?

See our apply for planning permission page for information on how to apply online for a planning application

 You can also apply using the Planning Portal. If you choose this option, the correct application form will be selected for you. The Planning Portal website also allows you to securely submit and pay for an application online. 

We have produced a validation checklist to help submit your application.

Is my property listed?

Listing marks and celebrates a building's special architectural and historic interest and brings it under the consideration of the planning system, so that it can be protected for future generations.

Find out if your property is listed and listed building consents required.

Is my property in a conservation area?

There are a number of conservation areas across the borough. A much wider range of changes to houses within Conservation Areas, including replacement windows and doors, are likely to require planning permission.

To find out if your property is in a conservation area, view the conservation area maps, appraisal and management plans.

What should I do if I have concerns about my neighbours' buildings work?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

Find out more about planning enforcement including how we respond to breaches of planning control, what we can and cannot investigate, and how you can report a suspected breach of planning.